Monday, October 12, 2009

Can someone tell me if 'Windows Live Hotmail Plus' works with Apple Mail?

Can I send and receive (hotmail) e-mails in Mail without going onto the internet to the hotmail site? - I will still use the online hotmail, when I'm away from my computer.





One on my friends suggested using Gmail, but there's too much hassle changing everything over. (all my internet shopping accounts, all the forums account, all my contacts I have stored). Plus I want to keep using Adium (all my friends have hotmail and MSN on Windows, but iChat doesn't work).





So I don't want Gmail for sending them all e-mails while still using hotmail to chat... I'd rather they'd all be under the one account (hotmail).





Thanks for any information.
Can someone tell me if 'Windows Live Hotmail Plus' works with Apple Mail?
Apple mail allows you to use any mail account with POP access. Windows Live Hotmail Plus offers POP access, so there is no reason that you cannot use both, or POP Hotmail inside Apple Mail.





From Microsoft:





Our POP service requires that you use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection and use SMTP authentication. This is to ensure that your email address and password are not subject to tampering. The settings are the following:





* POP: pop3.live.com (port 995)


* SMTP: smtp.live.com (port 25)


o Note: make sure you check the box that indicates that your outgoing server requires authentication (in most mail clients this is not checked by default).


* Username: your full email address


* Password: your Windows Live ID password

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive